Monday, August 8, 2011

Ape Doubles Our RICHIE Pleasure

The other "white bootie" has dropped at Ape Entertainment. Starting in November, Ape's RICHIE RICH will become an ongoing series, AND the company is also restarting a Harvey-era RICHIE title (RICHIE RICH GEMS) to reprint some classic tales. Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon will be providing new stories to the latter title. It seems a bit strange to me that RR GEMS will lead off with SUPER RICHIE reprints -- I'd think that Ape would want to remind folks of what the "genuine, original" Richie looked like first -- but if the stories are pulled from the earlier, more successful portion of the "Green and Yellow Tights & NO KEPS!" era, then I'll be happy.

My major hope regarding RR GEMS is that some serious effort is made to provide writer, artist, and original publication-date credits as a matter of course. Harvey tried to provide some credits in the late 80s and early 90s, during its "fin de semi-siecle" period, but the results always struck me as being rather "patchy." RR GEMS is a golden opportunity to educate a whole new generation of readers as to the entertainment value of the old comics, and I hope that Ape doesn't miss its chance to spotlight the great Harvey creators along the way.

1 comment:

Joe Torcivia said...

Chris:

I hope they do the "Classic Richie" proud!

Joe.