Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The STANDARD Deviates... into Disney Comics Territory, that is!

My eyes bugged out when I received the latest issue of THE WEEKLY STANDARD and turned to the concluding "Parody" page. Whatever mischievous soul is responsible for that regular feature really did himself or herself proud with "Scrooge McDuck Writes to The Treasury." Not only do the "panel grabs" from Don Rosa stories suggest that the writer has followed Disney comics at least since 1987 (the year of Rosa's debut), but several references are made to DuckTales -- the obvious one regarding Launchpad McQuack, and the subtler one mentioning that Donald is in the Navy. I'd like to think that Scrooge is recognized by most well-informed consumers of pop culture, but I wonder how many readers found themselves baffled by all the other names mentioned here.

.

.

.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Tomorrow, to celebrate the holiday, I'm planning to post a piece from the days I wrote for the APA WTFB.

No comments: